Posted by: secretperson | May 8, 2008

What Exactly are the “Armed Services”?

The Telegraph has an article on how the gunman shot dead in Chelsea was “ex-armed services”.

What exactly are the “Armed Services”, I was under the impression we referred to the Army, Royal Air Force and Royal Navy as the “Armed Forces”. Could this be a rebranding like the Police Force becoming the Police Service, so as to be less scary? Or simply journalists adopting an American expression?

I think we should be told.



  1. Don’t think it’s an Americanism but it sounds odd. But then I always write the gender-neutral “service-personnel” which does sound pretentious.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: